Jump to recipe
I have seen this toffee recipe in many places through the years, and finally thought it was time that Cookies and Curtains tried it out!
- 50 saltine crackers
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
- 1 cup soft light brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 3/4 - 1 cup M&Ms or chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Line a large jelly roll pan (this is one with sides!) with aluminum foil, coat with non stick cooking spray. Place the crackers side by side on the pan.
- Melt the butter and sugar together in a medium size pot over medium low heat. Stir until butter is melted, then bring to a boil for about 3 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and pour evenly over the saltine crackers. Spread mixture with a knife until it's pretty evenly spread. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes. The butter mixture will spread evenly over the crackers as it bakes.
- Remove pan from oven, sprinkle chocolate chips over the toffee while still hot. Let the chips melt, then spread them. I popped back in oven for about 2 minutes to get them to melt evenly!
- Sprinkle M&Ms or nuts over the top, press in.
- Place the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, remove from foil and break into pieces.
As always – enjoy!