This is another recipe we stumbled across somewhere – so glad we did! We modified it quite a bit – as in making it pretty low salt and then adding to taste. I also added in more mushrooms as who doesn’t love portobello mushrooms! Yummy! This is so good – I served it with red mashed potatoes – so delicious! The gravy is so silky and flavorful – the entire recipe is great to serve to guests, yourselves, or take to a friend who needs a great meal! I made more gravy as I wanted plenty for the leftovers and also to ensure we wouldn’t run out – would hate to run short!
Please note – it has to be a pork tenderloin – not a pork loin. A tenderloin is smaller and thinner than a pork loin – typically 1-2 pounds vs 3-5 pounds.
Pork Medallions in Mushroom Gravy
- 1 pork tenderloin, 1-1.5 pounds
- 3 Tbs flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, onion powder and ground pepper
- olive oil
- Mushroom Gravy
- 12 ounces baby bella mushrooms, stemmed and sliced about 1/4 thick
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, freshly pressed
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbs worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp reduced salt granulated beef bouillon
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano and dried thyme
- Prep the pork tenderloin:
- Remove the silver skin from the pork and cut crosswise into 12-14 slices. Press them down with hand or a mallet to about 1/2" thickness. Try to make them all relatively same thickness so they cook evenly. Mix the flour with the pork seasonings - dredge the slices into the flour mixture, place on plate.
- Cook the pork:
- Melt 2 Tbs unsalted butter with 2 Tbs olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Once oil is shimmering, place 6-7 medallions into hot oil and cook 2-3 minutes before flipping over. Remove from heat when cooked to approx 145/147 degrees. (They will continue cooking when removed from the pan). Remove when they are correct temperature, place other medallions into pan and repeat process. Transfer pork to a platter, tent to keep warm.
- Melt 2 Tbs unsalted butter with 1 Tbs olive oil in large skillet to medium high. Add 1/2 the sliced mushrooms and stir to coat with the butter-oil mixture. Cook til browned, about 3 minutes, then flip and brown the other side. Crack some pepper over the top. Remove and repeat with 2nd 1/2 of sliced mushrooms.
- Add 2 Tbs unsalted butter to the now empty skillet and melt Add the minced onion and saute for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium, add minced garlic and red pepper flakes, saute for 30 seconds. Add flour, stir and cook 1 minute, while scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Reduce heat to low, and slowly whisk in beef broth. Then add in worcestershire and soy sauce, dijon, beef bouillon and all the spices. Bring to a simmer until thickened. Once it's at desired consistency, add mushrooms into gravy.
- Place the medallions in the pan and ladle sauce over to warm the pork in case it has cooled. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add S&P to taste. Serve over mashed potatoes.
As always – ENJOY!!