I love to make bread, and I typically use my breadmaker to make the dough, but in this case, my friend asked for this NON breadmaker recipe so here it is!
Honey Wheat Bread Recipe (non bread maker!)
- 1 1/2 cups warm (not HOT or it will kill the yeast!) water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted softened butter
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, or in a stand mixer bowl, combine water, unsalted butter, honey, sugar and yeast. Let rest 2 minutes, mixture should become foamy. Stir until well combined. Add in bread flour, cocoa, instant coffee, and salt. Mix until combined. Add half the whole wheat flour, stirring until combined. Add rest of wheat flour, stir until dough is well combined. Continue stirring the mixture using hands or mixer until the dough begins to pull away from bowl (in stand mixer) then it’s time to knead!
- Knead the dough, by hand or mixer, for about 10 minutes. Continue pressing out, folding over on itself, pressing again into a large square and folding again and again until smooth. Transfer it to a lightly greased bowl, and turn to coat all sides. Cover the bowl tightly, and allow the dough to rise until doubled, about an hour.
- After dough has doubled in size, remove from bowl and divide the dough into 8 pieces. Shape each piece into small loaves. This dough is very soft, be prepared, you may need to grease your hands when working with it . Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the loaves on the sheet. Cover with a tea towel. Let them rise for about an hour, or until they look a bit puffy, but not necessarily doubled in size.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes. The loaves will appear slightly darker on the top when they're fully baked. Remove from the oven, and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Cool completely before storing. Use within 3-4 days.
As always – enjoy!