So on a whim, I made this last week as I wanted to eat something different, and I love all kinds of pasta (maybe because of all the yummy pasta we ate when in Italy awhile back!) Anyway, this is fab. Highly recommend it. Made it again (to use up all the bacon!) and sauteed shrimp to add on top – and that was excellently fabulous!
AND if you need it GF – easy enough to make just subbing in gluten free pasta!
Pasta Carbonara Recipe
Category Main Course
- 6 slices bacon
- 12 oz pasta
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup freshly grated asiago or parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup basil, chiffonade
- Cook bacon until crispy; drain on paper towels, when cool, chop or break into small pieces
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Drain, reserve 1 cup pasta water, return to pot to keep warm
- Whisk egg yolks together, add cheese and salt and pepper and whisk until well combined
- Add small amount of egg yolk mix to reserved pasta water, and whisk back into entire egg yolk mixture
- Pour egg mixture over hot pasta, add in salt and pepper, stir well, place in serving bowl
- Sprinkle bacon and basil and extra cheese over the top
- Serve immediately
As always – enjoy!