We love LOVE scallops at my house – and this dish is SO easy and so delicious!
Seared Scallops with Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 1/2 Tbs minced garlic
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil, cup into thin strips, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 pound jumbo scallops, patted dry
- splash dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs fresh chopped italian parsely
- Heat 2 Tbs of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion, stir occasionally for 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes
- Add tomatoes, 2 Tbs of the basil, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. Stir occasionally until tomatoes burst and release all the juice, about 8-9 minutes.
- Keep cooking 1-3 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat, place in container, cover and keep warm.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Stir in butter and parsley.
- Wipe original pan clean, season scallops with remaining salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining oil in pan and cook scallops until golden brown - about 90 seconds per side. Do not overcook!
- Place orzo in large serving dish, pour sauce over the top, place scallops on top of that and sprinkle remaining basil over top.
- Serve immediately.
As always – enjoy!!!