Jump to recipe
My friend sent me a recipe for Peppermint Truffles – sounded fabulous EXCEPT for the peppermint crunch baking chips which were not to be located anywhere local.. So I made my own 🙂 I just took some white chocolate, melted it, added a bit of peppermint extract, and pressed in candy cane pieces. I then chilled it and chopped it up. All good! And WAYYYY cheaper 🙂
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup peppermint crunch chocolate (make your own or buy the chips)
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 12 oz milk chocolate candy melts or chocolate chips
- 1 Tbs solid shortening
- 2-3 Tbs peppermint crunch chocolate, crushed, for dipping
- Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until creamy. Place 1/4 cup of crushed peppermint crunch chocolate in food processor and chop up or put it in a bag and smash it up. Then put that 1/4 cup into the mixing bowl with the cream cheese. Add 1/4 cup of uncrushed peppermint crunch chocolate in the mixing bowl as well. Mix well. The cream cheese will turn pink! Turn the mixer to low and add 1 cup of powdered sugar. Mix well, add another cup, until the mixture is very dry and will form a ball and not collapse. Keep adding powdered sugar until it will stay in a ball shape.
- Use a small cookie scoop, and scoop the mixture into balls. Place on waxed paper and refrigerate an hour or until firmed up. Melt chocolate and shortening - place chocolate and shortening in microwaveable bowl, microwave at 30 second increments - stirring well after each time, until almost melted. Then stir to completely remove all the unmelted portions.
- Dip each truffle into the chocolate, either half way or completely. Immediately dip into the crushed peppermint crunch, for decoration. Or you can just sprinkled it on. Allow to dry, then refrigerate up to a week.
As always – enjoy!