Another dairy free recipe for my niece! Once again, had never made bread before that had NO dairy in it – eggs/butter/nada.
And yippee – it turned out great!!
Dairy Free Braided White Bread Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups water, room temp
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in bread maker in order noted in recipe
- Turn breadmaker to dough cycle
- Open the machine 1/2 way through and check to make sure dough is okay - if too dry add a tsp of water, if too wet, add 1-2 Tbs bread flour - the dough changes consistency based on humidity/heat/etc so it's something I have to change every single time I make any type of bread.
- Once dough cycle is complete, place in a greased bowl, turn over to coat completely, cover with a clean towel and allow to rest in a warm, draft-free place for an hour or until it has doubled in size
- Remove from bowl, place on floured board and punch down lightly
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces, roll each into same size/length ropes
- Line the strips side by size and pinch ends together
- Braid the strips, pinch ends together
- Set braided dough on parchment lined baking pan
- Cover and allow to rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size
- Preheat oven to 350
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, loaf thumps when you tap on it, and it's lightly browned
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly before slicing
As always – enjoy!