Potatoes from my weekly delivery made this recipe a breeze! I love potato soup – and this ramped up recipe with jalepenos gave the soup a delicious twist on the usual!
Jalepeno Potato Soup Recipe
- 5-6 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 Tbs flour
- 1 32 oz container low sodium chicken broth
- 3 pounds red potatoes, quartered (I did not peel them)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese - I used white cheddar for the extra sharp zing
- chopped jalepenos
- 2 cups half and half (I used fat free)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- For toppings:
- shredded cheese
- sliced jalepenos
- sliced green onions
- sour cream
- siracha sauce
- Cook the bacon in the oven, at 425, on parchment paper, on a small cookie sheet with sides until crisp (I like extra crisp bacon)
- Remove from oven when crispy, place bacon on paper towels to drain
- Reserve 2 Tbs bacon fat
- Place bacon fat in large stock pot. Cook chopped onion in the bacon fat until translucent, about 5 minutes
- Sprinkle 3 Tbs of flour over onions, stir and cook for about 2 minutes or until flour is completely mixed in
- Pour in chicken stock slowly, whisking until smooth
- Add potatoes, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are VERY soft.
- (I removed about a cup of potatoes before blending so that I could add some bigger chunks back into the bowls when serving)
- Use a potato masher or an immersion blender, and mix until almost smooth.
- Stir in grated cheddar cheese and mix until cheese is completely melted
- Add chopped jalepenos
- Slowly pour in half and half and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls, add toppings as desired.
As always – ENJOY!