Making a prime rib and wanted some dark bread to go with it. Delicious!! This bread is dense and dark and yummy. I had multiple taste testers today and they all deemed it fabulous!
Pumpernickel Bread Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 Tsp quick rise yeast
- Place ingredients in bread pan in order listed. Program bread machine for dough cycle. Check dough halfway thru kneading cycle - may need to a bit more water or flour depending on the stickiness/dryness of dough. Adjust accordingly.
- When dough cycle is complete, remove dough from pan and place on lightly floured surface and shape dough into a 9- x 5-inch oval loaf. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; coat lightly with cooking spray, and cover loosely. Turn oven off, and place loaf in oven. Let rise 30 minutes or until loaf is doubled in bulk. Preheat oven to 375°. When loaf is doubled in size, remove cover, place in oven.
- Bake bread for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven, and brush with melted butter. Cool on wire rack.
As always – enjoy!