I saw this Chicken and Black Bean Chimichangas recipe recently and thought it sounded fabulous. I did some tweaking – and here is the yummy result! Best thing – I used the leftover chicken from the Roasted Chicken I made the other day!
- 1 pound shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1 (4oz) can mild green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped jalepenos
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 large (10") tortillas
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2-3 Tbs canola or vegetable oil
- Toppings: guacamole, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, jalepenos
- Stir together chicken, black beans, green chilies, green onions, jalepenos, salsa verde, salt, pepper and cilantro.
- Divide chicken into four portions, place mixture on tortilla, in middle slightly below the center.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold sides up and then roll tortilla. Don't roll too tightly - the tortilla will rip!
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Fry chimichangas (2 at a time) in oil, approximately 5 minutes on each side or until browned and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with toppings.
As always – enjoy!