Truly, lemon meringue pie is my all time favorite.. The best. I could eat it EVERY day. And then I’d be 1000 pounds. LOL. But it is my favorite…
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
- 9 inch baked pie crust
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten (keep whites!)
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- 6 Tbs sugar
- Prepare pie shell.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in heavy bottomed saucepan. Slowly stir in water.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir half the mixture into the beaten egg yolks, then incorporate all back into the saucepan.
- Boil and stir for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter, lemon juice and rind.
- Pour hot mixture into pie shell
- Beat eat whites and cream of tarter until foamy.
- Beat in 1 Tbs of sugar at a time, until stiff and glossy.
- Do NOT underbeat!
- Spoon meringue over hot filling, spread over filling all the way sealed to the edge of crust.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
As always – enjoy!