I know – you’d never thinks grits would be good in the crockpot. But let me tell you – this is the way to feed a crowd! I’m not from the south, so the grits thing never really worked for me UNTIL I ate shrimp and grits. Then I was hooked on cheesy grits!
Helpful Hint – ONLY Use stone ground grits – not fast cook!
- 2 cups stone ground grits - yellow or white
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Only use stone ground grits!
- Grease the slow cooker
- Place grits, water, chicken stock and salt in slow cooker.
- Stir well.
- Set cooker on high for 1-2 hours, then stir.
- Lower heat to low, cook an additional 4-5 hours.
- Make sure you stir every hour or less, and add more broth as needed.
- Towards the last hour or two, start adding the half and half bit by bit to keep them nice and moist and stir well so they get really creamy.
- Right before serving, add the pepper and the cheddar cheese, and mix well again.
- **I tripled this recipe - it filled an 8 quart crockpot to the TOP**
- I made this for a wedding brunch crowd - maybe 35 people - and they ate every single bit of them
As always – enjoy!