Strawberries are always FABULOUS (in my humble opinion) in everything! I like the mix of the sweet berries with the basic shortcake in this recipe. It’s FABULOUS!
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbs white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened, not melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 2 cups whipped heavy cream
- Hull and slice the berries, mix them with 1/4 cup of sugar, set aside to let the juices release
- Preheat oven to 425
- Grease and flour an 8" round cake pan
- Combine flour, baking powder, 2 Tbs sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Add beaten egg and milk into small well in center of mixture.
- Stir just until combined, don't over mix
- Spread the mixture into the greased pan. Note - it will be thick and hard to spread!
- Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes
- Turn onto wire rack to cool
- Slice the cake in half, creating 2 even layers
- Cut pie wedges out of the shortcake, and place on a plate.
- Remove the top, place berries onto the bottom half. Top with other half, and then place whipped cream on the top.
- If you have enough juice, sprinkle a bit of the berry juice on top.
As always – enjoy!!!