Meringue is SOOOO easy to make – I highly recommend using this recipe for this fabulous Lemon Pie!
- 5 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy
- Add cream of tartar and salt and beat until soft peaks form
- Add sugar, 1 Tbs at a time, beating 1-2 minutes after each addition
- Meringue should be shiny and form peaks
- Place meringue on top of pie, mounding in the middle, then spreading to the sides.
- Smooth with rubber scraper, being cautious to seam the meringue to the edges of the crust, and leave peaks in places
- Preheat broiler
- Place pie on middle oven rack, and crack the door. (I use a tea towel to leave it open a few inches)
- Bake until the meringue is browned, maybe 2-3 minutes. Watch closely - it burns EASILY!
As always – enjoy!!!