Soup in the crockpot is the GREATEST thing! House smells great, it’s ready (within reason!) to serve give or take an hour (!) – and there’s almost always leftovers! I thought it would be different to add in carrots to this recipe – and it really rounded out the flavor. Feel free to make it without if you don’t have any on hand..
- 16-20 ounces of frozen broccoli florets or 2 heads of fresh broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, finely chopped (I put mine thru the food processor)
- 5-6 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can cream of celery soup (I used the healthy type)
- 1/4 tsp salt (add more or less to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 pound (more or less to your liking) Velveeta (cut into cubes)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Place broccoli, onions, carrots, chicken broth, soup, salt, pepper, red pepper, and hot sauce in crockpot. Stir to combine.
- Cover, seal lid, and cook on high for approximately 4 hours.
- Use immersion blender to puree 3/4 of the soup.
- Turn heat to low
- Add Velveeta, place lid back on and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir well.
- Taste - add more salt/peppers as desired
- Ladle into bowls, top with cheddar cheese.
As always – ENJOY!!!