Chickens are on sale this week at a local grocery store – so I stocked up for my cookiesandcurtains blog! 🙂 It’s been ages since I roasted an entire chicken. YUM!
Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 1 5-6 pound roasting chicken
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 2 large bunch of thyme
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large onion, sliced thick
- 5 carrots, peeled, cut into 1-1.5" pieces
- 1 bulb fennel, top removed, bottom cut into large chunks
- 2-3 Tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425
- Remove chicken giblets. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Cut off any excess fat.
- Liberally salt and pepper the cavity.
- Stuff with the bunch of thyme, the lemon pieces, and the garlic.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the melted butter. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Grease a roasting pan.
- Place the onions, carrots, fennel into the roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with second bunch of thyme.
- Toss with olive oil, top with salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly in the pan.
- Place chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Roast chicken for approximately 90 minutes, or until juices run clear when pierced.
- Cover with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve with the vegetables.