I have not made a St Louis Gooey Butter Cake in AGES! I highly recommend this dessert/breakfast.. It’s VERY easy to make – and it disappears as soon as you cut it. I made up fun recipe cards for a friend’s daughter’s wedding – for all the out of town guests – mentioning that gooey butter cake is a ST LOUIS SPECIALTY! 🙂
- 1⁄2 cup REAL butter (no substitutes)
- 18 ounces (1 box) yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package softened cream cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9x13 pan – one with minimum 3” sides.
- Melt butter.
- Pour cake mix into bowl.
- Stir melted butter, along with one egg, into the cake mix - this will be a very thick dough.
- PRESS mixture into pan and up the sides. I always use clean hands for this – the dough sticks to any sort of tool and you end up making a mess!
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese, vanilla, powdered sugar and the remaining two eggs.
- Beat for three minutes with an electric mixer set on medium high speed, or until smooth with no lumps.
- Pour evenly over top of the cake mixture in the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until golden brown on top but watch closely –do not overbake! The top will form a ‘sugar crust’ while baking which is the top layer of sugar hardening and turning golden brown.
- Cool cake completely. The cake will sink - this is normal! You can refrigerate if desired.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar.
- Cut cake into small pieces and serve.
- Watch it disappear!
As always – ENJOY!!