I made this chicken recipe last night for dinner – totally spur of the moment – and it was easy and delicious! Leftovers are excellent, according to my daughter!
Chicken and Penne Pasta Recipe
- 1.5 cups uncooked pasta, use small pasta, such as penne
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked chicken breast, cut in small cubes
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes in juice, undrained (I used low salt)
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, I also used small mozzarella balls
- 1/2 cup basil, chiffonaded (is that a word?!)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan or asiago cheese
- 1 Tbs butter
- Preheat oven to 400
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Drain, allow to cool. Place in large mixing bowl.
- Place the olive oil in saute pan, add chicken, saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until onions are softened, about 5 more minutes.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the bowl with the pasta.
- Add the tomatoes, marinara sauce. mozzarella cheese,basil and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour into greased baking pan.
- Spread the bread crumbs and cheese over the top.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, uncovered, until the top begins to brown.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
As always – ENJOY!