These are amazing. Absolutely amahhhzing…. I made them on a whim for a friend’s parents as a thank you for my teenager spending countless hours and nights at their house.. And they are now a new favorite!!!
If you are too busy to make the cake from scratch – use a cake mix – it’s okay!
Make the peanut butter balls first – the “filling”.
Use 2 12 cupcakes pans. Put a cupcake liner in each one – HIGHLY recommended to use a liner!
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Mix all ingredients with a mixer. Roll into 24 balls, place on cookie sheet and place in freezer until needed.
Use this awesome cake recipe to make the batter. Or a box mix will work just as well!!
- 3/4 cup softened unsalted butter (real butter)
- 1/4 cup solid shortening (if you despise shortening – use more butter!)**NOTE** – the shortening helps the frosting hold up better – the butter makes for runnier frosting after a day or so!
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk (I used skim)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Place butter, peanut butter and powdered sugar in stand mixer with paddle attachment. Mix until blended. Add in milk and vanilla and whip on high until creamy.
Place about 1-2 teaspoons of cake batter in the bottom of each cupcake liner (24 total)
Place a peanut butter ball on top of the batter.
Pour remaining batter evenly over each peanut butter ball.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for about 15-20 minutes, then remove from pan to a rack to cool completely.
Frost with peanut butter frosting.
I added mini chips to the top of mine – for fun – but that’s optional! 🙂
As always – ENJOY!!!!!