I do adore risotto!
I started making it years ago after we visited an awesome restaurant in Charleston SC, and I told Joe “oh I can make this”..
And so I did 🙂
I made it for friends the other night – my good friend’s daughter requested it 🙂 However, I did not do the usual seared scallops, I put fresh shrimp on top instead. Yes, it was good!
Here you go:
8-10 cups HOT good quality chicken broth
¼ cup butter – do not use margarine
1 large onion, finely chopped
1-2 Tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
3 Tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups finely grated parmesan cheese (can use more or less to taste)
Salt and fresh grated black pepper
Extra crispy bacon bits/chopped green onions
1) Bring chicken stock to a boil in saucepan, reduce heat to low, and cover to keep hot
2) In another heavy bottomed saucepan, melt ¼ cup butter over medium low heat, add in onion and sauté until tender but not browned (10 minutes or so).
3) Add in garlic, cook about 2 minutes.
4) Increase heat slightly and add in the rice, stir for 1 minute.
5) Slowly add in 1 ½ cups hot broth with a ladle, boil gently, stirring until all broth is absorbed.
6) Add in another 1 cup broth, and stir until absorbed.
7) Add in ½ cup broth at a time, allowing the broth to absorb before adding another ½ cup. Do this until you have used all the broth, stirring until rice is tender and creamy. This should take about 30 minutes.
8) Stir in 3 Tbs butter and the parmesan cheese.
9) Season with salt and pepper
10) Serve on plate with seafood on top, sprinkle with a bit more cheese, add some bacon bits and green onions and you’re set!